Possil School Gymnasium:
Built between 1930 and 1934 and designed by architect James Taylor Thomson (1878/8-1953). The building is flat roofed and has a distinctive thirties style. It was designed as a gymnasium and is the last remaining part of Possil School (also designed by Thomson) which was demolished in 2004 due to structural concerns. New hosuing has since been built on the site of the former school.
At the rear the former gymnasium (also known as Hodge Court) appears as a single storey, and then at the Balmore Road elevation the site steps down to the road and the building reveals itself as a single storey with a basement. Constructed of brick with ashlar end portions and ashlar detailing, all four elevations are symmetrical, the Balmore Road elevation has ten window bays, the central one has ashlar elements defining its centrality.
The building has remained vacant since the school fell into disuse and now sits empty and boarded up with petty signs of vandalism (broken windows, spray paint graffitti etc.). Numerous sites along the roof have significant organic growth reflecting the excessive presence of moisture, this is furtehr confirmed by large damp areas on parts of the walls, indicating failed rainwater goods. The building is category C listed.
street address: 426 Balmore Road, Glasgow, G22 6NT
Latitude / Longitude: 55.891312,-4.2591 (sourced using Google Maps)
north elevation and long west elevation onto Balmore Road
centre of the Balmore Road elevation with the projecting central ashlar bay style ashlar projection
centre of the Balmore Road elevation, note the ashlar banding defining the floors of the building, metal panels boarding the basement windows and timber sash and case windows on the upper floor.
south elevation, looking up the Balmore Road (west) elevation
south elevation, the ends have stronger proportions refelcted in their use of ashlar. Both end facades have a rigid symmetry.
south elevation, with the projecting red brick central entrance at the rear just visible through the leaves of the tree to the right of the photograph
south elevation and looking northwards along the rear elevation. The large projecting brick part of the building can clearly be seen giving the building its flattened T shape plan design
rear (east) elevation from the north-east
graffitti, booarded up windows and the roof top access ladder, note the partially broken piece of a timber frame which has been used to gain access to the ladder and subsequently the roof..
no unauthorised access
smashed light fitting on the north elevation
north-west corner and wrought-iron gateway from Balmore Road
click here to view next featured derelict building
back to top