St Columba Episcopal Church and John Hutchinson Sharp Memorial Hall:
The church (derelict) was built in 1895-96 and designed by architect M. McColl, and latterly the John Hutchinson Memorial Hall (non-derelict) designed by architect Henry Denison Walton (ref: www.scottisharchitects.org.uk) with a building date of 1914 was added.
The church is a red sandstone structure with roughly hewn stone and more finely finished dressed red sandstone details. The church is a latin cross traditional plan shape, and has some unusually slender gothic arch windows as well as the use of a star of david design window on the west elevation, a symbol associated with judaism, but also seen occasionally on christian churches. The church has always been an Episcopal church but is currently in a derelict state, with numerous smashed windows, a partially collapsed roof at the west end of the north side, and a great many tiles missing from the roof on the east end of the south side meaning the building is in no way watertight and hence the decaying process is being greatly accelerated by the ingress of water.
The John Hutchinson Memorial Hall sited immediately to the south is, in contrast in good condition and still in use, though not for any religious purpose rather for the pursuit of the art of pugilism.
street address: 276 Glasgow Road / South Douglas Street, Clydebank, Glasgow, G81 1PG
Latitude / Longitude: 55.896066,-4.398165 (sourced using Google Maps)
west elevations of the two buildings onto South Douglas Street. To the left, can be seen the west end of the derelict St Columba's Episcopal church with its large rose window and to the south (right of the photograph) the church hall currently in use as a boxing club
west elevation of the Memorial hall
wall plaque on the west elevation of the memorial hall with a building date of 1914
looking eastwards up the gap between the two buildings
pair of slender gothic arch lancet windows on the west side of the transept on the south elevation, looking through the windows it can be seen from the natural light flooding inside that this area is missing part of its roof
looking northwards at the west end and south elevation of St Columba's, note the missing slates and exposed sarking boards on the transept at the right of the photograph
west elevation with the projecting flat roofed entrance way with a gothic arched doorway on the north and south sides and small oculus window
rose window on the west end elevation
above the large rose window on the west elevation is a small pointed eye shaped oval window, this design is repeated several times on the building's exterior
looking south down South Douglas Street from Glasgow Road along the west elevation
north doorway on the projecting entrance on the west elevation
looking east along the north elevation
north elevation onto Glasgow Road
iron cross over the west elevation and damaged stonework and lead flashing
transept on the north elevation
west part of the north elevation with the very slender set of six lancet windows
east end of the north elevation, note the sagging partially collapsed roof
view from the east looking westwards along the north elevation
north end of the east elevation with its six pointed star of david window design. Usually associated with judaism, the design is sometimes seen as a motiff in christian churches.
partially collapsed roof
triple small window on the north end of the west elevation
looking northwards up the west elevation, note the step in the roofline and small window, as well as the ruinous state of the roof with the majority of slates missing and weathered timbers
the ruinous state of the roof will lead to continual ingress of water and the steady decay of the building
small window where the roofline steps up
click here to view next featured derelict building
back to top